Gravitational lensing by gravitational waves
G.S. Bisnovatyi-Kogan1 and O. Yu. Tsupko2
(1) Space Research Institute of Russian Academy of Science, Profsoyuznaya 84/32, Moscow 117997, Russia
(2) Space Research Institute of Russian Academy of Science, Profsoyuznaya 84/32, Moscow 117997, Russia
Gravitational lensing by a gravitational wave is considered. We notice that, although the final and initial directions of photons coincide, there occur5s a displacement between the final and initial trajectories. This displacement is calculated analytically for a plane gravitational wave pulse. Observational estimates are discussed.
For more information about this paper please visit Springer's Home Page of this paper.
- V. B. Braginsky, N. S. Kardashev, A. G. Polnarev, and I. D. Novikov, Nuovo Cim. B 105, 1141 (1990).
- V. Faraoni, Astrophys. J. 398, 425 (1992).
- T. Damour and G. Esposito-Farese, Phys. Rev. D 58, 042001 (1998).
- L. D. Landau and E. M. Lifshitz, The Classical Theory of Fields (Pergamon, Oxford, 1993)
- R. A. Saenz and S. L. Shapiro, Astrophys. J. 221, 286 (1978).
- G. S. Bisnovatyi-Kogan, MNRAS 347, 163 (2004).
Back to The Contents Page