On particle collisions near rotating black holes
A.A. Grib1 and Yu.V. Pavlov2
(1) A. Friedmann Laboratory for Theoretical Physics, Griboedov kanal 30/32, St. Petersburg 191023, Russia
(2) A. Friedmann Laboratory for Theoretical Physics, Griboedov kanal 30/32, St. Petersburg 191023, Russia
Scattering of particles with different masses and energy in the gravitational field of rotating black holes is considered both outside and inside the black hole. Expressions for scattering energy of particles in the center-of-mass reference frame are obtained. It is shown that the scattering energy of particles in this frame can acquire very large values not only for extremal black holes but also for non-extremal ones if one takes into account multiple scattering. Numerical estimates for the time needed for a particle to get ultrarelativistic energy are given.
For more information about this paper please visit Springer's Home Page of this paper.
- A. A. Grib and Yu. V. Pavlov, JETP Lett. 92, 125 (2010); arXiv: 1004.0913.
- M. Banados, J. Silk, and S. M. West, Phys. Rev. Lett. 103, 111102 (2009).
- S.-W. Wei, Y.-X. Liu, H. Guo, and C.-E. Fu, Charged spinning black holes as particle accelerators, arXiv: 1006.1056; S.-W. Wei, Y.-X. Liu, H.-T. Li, and F.-W. Chen, Particle collisions on stringy black hole background, arXiv: 1007.4333.
- O. B. Zaslavskii, Acceleration of particles as a universal property of rotating black holes, arXiv: 1007.3678; Acceleration of particles by nonrotating charged black holes, arXiv: 1007.4598.
- P.-J. Mao, R. Li, L.-Y. Jia, and J.-R. Ren, Kaluza-Klein black holes as particles accelerators, arXiv: 1008.2660.
- S. Chandrasekhar, The Mathematical Theory of Black Holes (Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford, 1983).
- A. A. Grib and Yu. V. Pavlov, On particle collisions near Kerr's black holes, arXiv: 1007.3222.
- T. Harada and M. Kimura, Collision of an ISCO particle around a Kerr black hole, arXiv: 1010.0962.
- E. Berti, V. Cardoso, L. Gualtieri, F. Pretorius, and U. Sperhake, Phys. Rev. Lett. 103, 239001 (2009); T. Jacobson and T. P. Sotiriou, Phys. Rev. Lett. 104, 021101 (2010).
- K. S. Thorne, Astrophys. J. 191, 507 (1974).
- K. Lake, Phys. Rev. Lett. 104, 211102 (2010); 104, 259903(E) (2010).
Back to The Contents Page