Derivation of nonsingular diagonal metrics describing collision of plane gravitational waves with given initial profiles
(1) Moscow State Technological University "STANKIN", Vadkovsky per. 3a, Moscow 127055, Russia
The condition obtained by Yurtsever in the problem of a collision of plane gravitational waves is transformed into a form that allows for deriving new solutions without a curvature singularity in the interaction region. The above condition is augmented with a number of restrictions concerning the class of functions describing the initial waves and their behavior on the fronts and focusing surfaces. Two examples of new solutions derived on the basis of the Chandrasekhar-Xantopoulos solution illustrate the technique proposed in this paper.
For more information about this paper please visit Springer's Home Page of this paper.
- S. Chandrasekhar and B. C. Xanthopoulos, Proc. Roy. Soc.(London) A 408, 175 (1986).
- V. Ferrari, J. Ibanez, and M. Bruni, Phys. Rev. D 36, 1057 (1987).
- V. Ferrari and J. Ibanez, Proc. Roy. Soc. (London) A 417, 417 (1988).
- F. J. Ernst, A. Garcia, and I. Hauser, J. Math. Phys. 28, 2155, 2951 (1987).
- P. Szekeres, J. Math. Phys. 13 (3), 286 (1972).
- U Yurtsever, Phys. Rev. D 37, 2790 (1988).
- Yu. G. Sbytov, Grav. Cosmol., 15, 362 (2009).
- Yu. G. Sbytov, Izv. Vuzov, Fizika, No. 5, 10 (2011).
- H. Bateman and A. Erdelyi, Higher Transcendental Functions (McGrow Hill., N.Y. et al., 1953), Vol. 1.
- J. B. Griffiths, Clas. Quantum Grav. 9, 205 (1992).
- J. Centrella and R. A. Matzner, Phys. Rev. D 25, 930 (1982).
- J. Ibanez and E. Verdaguer, Phys. Rev. Lett., 51, 1313 (1983).
Back to The Contents Page