The Newtonian gravitational constant: Modern status of measurement and the new CODATA value
V. Milyukov1 and Shu-hua Fan2
(1) Sternberg Astronomical Institute, Lomonosov Moscow State University, Russia
(2) Department of Physics, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, China
Measurements of G, the Newtonian constant of gravitation, in laboratory experiments have a more than two hundred years' history. Although the accuracy of the best modern experimental measurements of G reaches 15-40 ppm, the scatter of the measured values is large enough, and the knowledge of the absolute value of G is still rather poor. The results of the G measurements which were used for CODATA adjustments, as well as the CODATA values, are reviewed in the paper.
For more information about this paper please visit Springer's Home Page of this paper.
- H. Cavendish, Experiments to determine the density of the Earth, Philos. Trans. R. Soc. London 88, 469 (1798).
- P. Heil, P. Chrzanovski, A new determination of the constant of gravitation, J. Research National Bureau of Standards, USA 29 (1), 1 (1942).
- E. R. Cohen and B. N. Taylor, The 1973 least-squares adjustment of the fundamental constants, J. Phys. Ref. Data 2, 663 (1973).
- E. R. Cohen and B. N. Taylor, The 1986 adjustment of the fundamental physical constants, Rev. Mod. Phys. 59, 1121 (1987).
- R. D. Rose, et al., Determination of the Gravitational Constant G, Phys. Rev. Lett. 23, 655 (1969).
- C. Pontikis, Determination de la constante de gravitation par la metode de resonance, Comptes Rendus Acad. Sci. Paris. 274 ser. B, 437 (1972).
- M. U. Sagitov, V. K. Milyukov, et al., New determination of the Cavendish gravitational constant, Dok. Acad. Nauk SSSR 245, 567 (1979) [Sov. Phys. Dokl. 245, 20 (1981)].
- G. G. Luther and W. R. Towler, Redetermination of the Newtonian Gravitational Constant G, Phys. Rev. Lett. 48, 121 (1982).
- W. Michaelis et al., A new precise determination of Newton's gravitational constant, Metrologia, 32, 267 (1995/96).
- O. V. Karagioz and V. P. Izmailov, Measurement of the gravitational constant with a torsion balance, Izmeritel'naya Tekhnika 39, 3 (1996) [Measurement Techniques 39, 979 (1996)].
- C. H. Bagley and G. G. Luther, Preliminary results of a determination of the Newtonian constant of gravitation: a test of the Kuroda hypothesis, Phys. Rev. Lett. 78, 3047 (1997).
- Jun Luo et al., Determination of the Newtonian gravitational constant G with a nonlinear fitting method, Phys. Rev. D. 59, 042001 (1999).
- M. P. Fitzgerald and T. R. Armstrong, The measurement of G using the MSL torsion balance, Meas. Sci. Technol., 10, 439 (1999).
- P. J. Mohr and B. N. Taylor, CODATA recommended values of the fundamental physical constants: 1998, Rev. Mod. Phys. 72, 351 (2000).
- J. H. Gundlach and S. M. Merkowitz, Measurement of Newton's constant using a torsion balance with angular acceleration feedback, Phys. Rev. Lett. 85, 2869 (2000).
- T. J. Quinn, C. C. Speake, S. J. Richmann, et al., A new determination of G using two methods, Phys. Rev. Lett. 87, 111101 (2001).
- St. Schlamminger, E. Holzschuh, and W. Kundig, Determination of the gravitational constant with a beam balance, Phys. Rev. Lett. 89, 161102 (2002).
- U. Kleinevoss, Bestimmung der Newtonschen Gravitationskonstanten G, Ph.D. thesis (University of Wuppertal, 2002).
- T. R. Armstrong and M. P. Fitzgerald, New measurements of G using the Measurement Standards laboratory torsion balance, Phys. Rev. Lett. 91, 201101 (2003).
- P. J. Mohr and B. N. Taylor, CODATA recommended values of the fundamental physical constants: 2002, Rev. Mod. Phys. 77, 1 (2005).
- Z.-K. Hu, J.-Q. Guo, and J. Luo, Correction of source mass effects in the HUST-99 measurement of G, Phys. Rev. D 71, 127505 (2005).
- St. Schlamminger, et al., Measurement of Newton's gravitational constant, Phys. Rev. D 74, 082001 (2006).
- P. J. Mohr, B. N. Taylor, and D. B. Newell, CODATA recommended values of the fundamental physical constants: 2006, Rev. Mod. Phys. 80, 633 (2008).
- Jun Luo, et al., Determination of the Newtonian gravitational constant G with time-of-swing method, Phys. Rev. Lett. 102, 240801 (2009).
- Liang-Cheng Tu, et al., New determination of the gravitational Constant G with time-of-swing method, Phys. Rev. D 82, 022001 (2010).
- H. V. Parks and J. E. Faller, Simple pendulum determination of the gravitational constant, Phys. Rev. Lett. 105, 110801 (2010).
- Official website of CODATA (http://www.codata.org).
- K. Kuroda, Does the time-of-swing method give a correct value of the Newtonian gravitational constant?, Phys. Rev. Lett. 75, 2796 (1995).
- P. R. Saulson, Thermal noise in mechanical experiments, Phys. Rev. D 42, 2437 (1990).
- Shan-Qing Yang, et al., Direct measurement of the anelasticity of a tungsten fiber, Phys. Rev. D 80, 122005 (2009).
Back to The Contents Page