Heating mechanisms for subrelativistic jets
G.S. Bisnovatyi-Kogan1 and Y.M. Krivosheyev2
(1) Space Research Institute (IKI), Profsoyuznaya ul., 84/32, Moscow 117997, Russia
(2) Space Research Institute (IKI), Profsoyuznaya ul., 84/32, Moscow 117997, Russia
Different physical processes that affect an X-ray jet's thermal balance are considered. We focus on the problem of a possible fast jet cooling due ro bremsstrahlung. Therefore, the contributions of each process to the jet thermal balance are calculated. We investigate the effect of shock wave propagation on jet heating and the mechanism of jet kinetic energy transformation into heat via Coulomb collisions of jet and corona protons. Quantitative estimates are made for the case of the galactic microquasar SS433 based on the authors' previous results. Coulomb collisions have turned out to be the only important heating mechanism for this source.
For more information about this paper please visit Springer's Home Page of this paper.
- Yu. M. Krivosheyev, G. S. Bisnovatyi-Kogan, A. M. Cherepashchuk, and K. A. Postnov, Mon. Not. R. Astron. Soc. 394, 1674 (2009).
- G. S. Bisnovatyi-Kogan and Yu. M. Krivosheyev, Astron. Rep. (2011) (accepted).
- M. V. Barkov and G. S. Bisnovatyi-Kogan, Astron. Zh. 82 (8), 1 (2005) (in Russian).
- S. Fabrika, Astrophys. Sp. Phys. Rev. 12, 1 (2004).
- H. Marshall, C. Canizares, and N. Schulz, in: Proceedings of the Conference "Chandra's First Decade of Discovery", Boston, USA, 22-25 September, 2009, abstract No. 149.
- L. D. Landau and E. M. Lifshits, Statistical Physics, Part 1, (3rd ed., Nauka, Moscow, 1976).
Back to The Contents Page